One of the most rewarding ways to get involved with Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Greater Chesapeake is to work with us. A career with our agency is an opportunity to merge your talents and personal values with your desire to make a difference.
Every day, we are changing the perspectives of children and enabling them to see the world around them in a more positive light. With that newfound point of view, they can see their potential more clearly and dream bigger about their future. Our success is a result of committed and inspired employees, working together to make a lasting impact on America's youth, schools, and communities.
An Opportunity for Growth
That's obviously true for the children we serve. But it's also true within our organization. We need talented and passionate people in a variety of areas.
We are committed to a diverse workforce with representation from every walk of life. We recognize how our organization is greatly enhanced when we unite people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives.
Director of Volunteer Recruitment
Responsible for leading the development and implementation of the agency strategy to identify and recruit volunteers for participation in youth mentoring. Responsible for developing and implementing policies and procedures related to volunteer recruitment. Responsible for direct supervision of agency’s Outreach Team. Work closely with the Senior Director of Program and the Director of Marketing and Communication to address the needs for volunteer and youth recruitment and the messaging required to be successful in attracting and converting new volunteers. The Director of Volunteer Recruitment will report directly to the Executive VP of Operations.
Minimum Position Requirements:
- A passion for the organization’s mission and a track record of community service, including mentoring youth in a formal or informal setting
- Must thrive in a fast-paced environment, be open to new ideas, and possess a high level of creative thinking
- Ability to analyze a variety of metrics in order to inform strategic direction
- Persuasive written and face-to-face communication skills
- Superior organizational and time management abilities
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as a self-starter in a team-oriented environment and to interact with staff, board members, donors, adult volunteers, youth, and others
- Possess professional maturity to respond to urgent matters and/or crisis situations, as needed
- Ability to relate to and work effectively with diverse groups from different racial, socio-economic and religious backgrounds
- Must demonstrate a high technological proficiency, including a working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint, and Outlook and be able to operate agency direct services information systems
- Must have a reliable mode of transportation which can be used to perform certain job requirements
Ability to work on weekends and evenings and occasional travel throughout the agency’s service area
· Ability to walk/move on level surfaces for numerous periods throughout the day.
· Ability to perform repetitive tasks, such as using a keyboard on computer equipment.
· Ability to lift and carry certain items weighing up to and including 50 lbs. on occasion.
· Ability to sit or stand for an extended period of time while performing required duties as assigned.
Desired Educational/Professional Qualifications:
· A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university or its equivalent is required. A Master’s degree in a related field or the equivalent is preferred
· Experience preferred in the following areas: volunteer recruitment and/or management, youth development, social services, marketing (including creation and execution of image building recruitment campaigns)
· Prior work history with charitable organizations or the equivalent is preferred
· Prior experience with political campaigns and/or grassroots organizing efforts is preferred
Specific Responsibilities Include:
· Assess the BBBSGC’s existing volunteer recruitment activities and outcomes
- Develop and implement a volunteer recruitment strategy to increase the number of qualified volunteers applying to become mentors.
- Recruit, train and manage an Outreach Team, to be comprised of both paid and volunteer staff placed throughout the agency’s service area
- Attend and represent BBBSGC at community outreach events, fairs and trainings related to volunteer recruitment
- Facilitate weekly outreach and volunteer recruitment activities, coordinate sessions to include relevant BBBSGC staff, current volunteers, youth and guest speakers
- Develop printed recruitment materials and content for e-blasts, social media posts, web pages, etc.
- Build and leverage partnerships with community groups, corporations, and other organizations to recruit volunteers from diverse segments of the population in the agency’s service area
- Respond to prospective volunteer inquiries, as needed
- Maintain accurate records of volunteer recruiting efforts, activity reports and database records; process and analyze volunteer database reports
- Work closely with Director of Marketing and Communications to develop and inform large scale marketing campaigns targeted to increase volunteer inquiries
- Stay informed of and utilize the latest technology and evidence-based research to constantly improve volunteer recruitment efforts
- Recruit volunteers and reach out to families through regular face-to-face activities in community, corporate, collegiate and civic environments.
- Cultivate long-term sustained relationships with mentor-and youth-rich organizations, collaborators and other third parties through effective stewardship and communication.
- Regularly analyze the current ratio of children participating in the program and specific recruitment needs and adjust volunteer recruitment efforts to appropriately balance volunteer and youth enrollment.
- Provide continual evaluation of processes and procedures, suggesting methods to improve operations, efficiency and service to both internal and external customers.
- Track and evaluate results of recruitment and outreach efforts. Provide weekly, monthly and quarterly progress reports for both volunteer recruitment and youth outreach efforts and forecast returns on upcoming efforts.
- Attend board and committee meetings as necessary
- Additional duties as assigned by the President/CEO or Executive VP of Operations
To apply, please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Gain knowledge and experience in your career while working for an organization with a BIG impact. We provide internship and practicum opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students in various areas of the agency including Program, Development, and Administration. These opportunities are designed to give students hands-on experience in their particular major. They are unpaid positions and the hours are flexible to meet the student's and the Agency's needs. We offer internships every semester and during the summer in our Central Maryland, Eastern Shore, and Southern Maryland offices.
Big Brothers Big Sisters on the Eastern Shore seeks applicants for the following positions who can be a team player and assist in changing the lives of children in Maryland.
Eastern Shore Program Specialist
Big Brothers Big Sisters seeks an Eastern Shore Program Specialist primarily for the mid shore. Responsible for volunteer outreach, youth enrollment, training, case management & program execution. Reliable transportation for local travel is required. Bachelor's Degree in social work, human services or related subject. Experience working with at-risk youth, public speaking, positive youth development, workforce development, and/or education and training preferred. To apply, email cover letter, résumé, references and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org; please indicate which position you are applying for in the SUBJECT line. No phone calls please.
EASTERN SHORE -- Our office is located in downtown Salisbury on the Plaza in the Greater Salisbury Building, 200 West Main Street, 3rd Floor, Salisbury, Maryland 21801. Parking is provided.
SOUTHERN MARYLAND -- Our office is located in Charlotte Hall just off of Golden Beach Road, 30065 Business Center Drive, Suite 2, Charlotte Hall, Maryland 20622. Parking is provided.
BALTIMORE LOCATION -- Our office is located in the Hampden area of Baltimore, just north of downtown and off of I-83 and Falls Road, 3600 Clipper Mill Road, Suite 250, Baltimore, Maryland 21211. Parking is provided.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Greater Chesapeake (BBBSGC) is an equal opportunity employer. BBBSGC will not discriminate in employment, recruitment, and advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, creed, color, national origin, gender or sexual orientation.